Monday, January 27, 2014

COLDNESS

Before I get started today, I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your kind words regarding Vicki and the engagement.  Thank you so much.  It's nice to see so many of you care.

Now onto POLAR VORTEX *insert Kerry King solo here*.

The cold has crippled us this month.  We have had four snow days in school.  Four days where business is shut down, and life kind of stopped.  I had a class canceled today, and it looks like Jersey's keyboarding class may never happen again.

I saw many posts from people regarding the cold.  I wanted to share some of them with you...

Gee, a another day off of school tomorrow, as the winter of wussy continues
The worst thing about these "cold" days isn't going to be the time we make up at the end of the year, it will be the first 5 day week that we have!
Oh c'mon...it ain't that cold!
Shame on you Warren Newport PUBLIC Library! You're a taxing body, and a public building, you have zero right closing due to the cold! There are people out there counting on public buildings being open during this cold! 
How many snow days did we have growing up ?

I found these to be humorous and it brings up a great point.  Especially the last one.

Many of the people in my generation didn't enjoy very many snow days.  In fact check out the coldest days of Chicago history here.  The 1/6 day was close, but doesn't measure up to these temps.  I don't recall closing school for them.

I get it's a safety issue, but as you can see above, people are frustrated.  Many people, like me, will not let the cold get in the way of being productive.  The cold is an excuse to be lazy.  Public building should not be shut down.  Services needed to go to work.  The mail came today, but the garbage wasn't picked up.  Also, no notification came from the garbage company letting us know they were going to take advantage of this cold weather and not work.

Although Jersey enjoys the days off, she missed a new class that she really is interested in.  The schools have working heat.  The buses don't have to run and parents should be given the choice whether or not they would like to take their kids to school.  I am a firm believer that life shouldn't shut down because its cold as hell outside.

We all want to be productive and we should.  Are we going to let Mother Nature keep us locked in our house?  Or do we go outside flick her off and go to work?  I canceled appointments today to stay home with my kids.  However, I will be doing them tomorrow.  No POLAR VORTEX *insert Dave Mustaine riff here* is keeping me in check.

Mike C


No comments:

Post a Comment